Sunday, February 8, 2009

At home Sunday

You start to understand the sacrifice of being a mom when the whole world halts to your child's nap schedule. We are not at church today because it was crucial to maintian the his nap (for this week at least). We have been working with Wes on self soothing and getting himself to sleep. It has been painful at best. We were the typical household with me crying on the couch wanting to go rescue my baby and Dave being the voice of reason convincing me that this is for his good and ours. So hard to see when your baby has been crying for hours. Yes Wes was determined not to give up- but we stayed strong and after only 3 days we can lay him down in his crib fully awake and he will be asleep in 10-15 mins. A miracle seeing as last week we had to run upstairs every 5 mins to replace the binki and rock him back to sleep; always living in fear of the red lights on the monitor. Victory in Jesus- he is due the credit. I spent every cry session in hopeless prayer for our son and for our strength to hold out and let him figure it out. He wasn't a good sleeper but since the sleep boot camp he has only woken up 2 times a night and taking longer naps! I found this article written by a college friend on the Dollahite's blog- it really spoke to my heart in where I'm at as a mom....can you identify? http://www.kiqlo.com/content/sdollahite/18363__demoHer-Arms-are-Strong-for-Her-Tasks-Hearts-at-Home-Version.swf Also if you have any baby sleep nightmares or victorys tell me about them.

6 comments:

The Schmidts said...

I can totally relate. Great article that you linked to. Today at Costco after church Nayeli looked at me and said that I have barf on my shirt--which I did from trying to bounce the baby to sleep during the sermon that I didn't hear. Nayeli didn't sleep through the night until 11 months old. Eliora isn't either (five months today!) but she's doing better--only two night wakings per night right now. It is a sacrifice to be a mom and it is hard since we don't have sick days and vacation days and we can't take breaks from babies (especially when they won't take bottles and pacifiers like mine!), and it is hard to sacrifice being able to go out with friends, go the the movies, dancing, etc, but it is so worth it because it is such an important job that we are doing. I believe that there is no greater ministry that we can do then to raise our children in godly homes. It is a sacrifice of time, energy, money, everything. It is such a rude awakening of how selfish we are too, because all of a sudden we can't be anymore! I have had to say no soooo many times when friends and family have asked me to do something because it interferes with nap or bedtime. Anyway, when you are crying, remember that you are not alone. You can always call me too--I'm right there with you! --Rhiannon

Jenn said...

Girl, I am so proud of you. That takes guts. Being a parent of an almost impossible child I will tell you that the time you put into his sleep schedule right now will really pay off. It seems hard now, but someday he will get thrown off, and it will only take a day to get him back on. It was a miracle cure for us. I am really proud of you. Feel free to vent to me anytime. Hardest thing I have ever done. Congrats!

Dave, Kristal and Wes said...

you guys are a great encouagement and awesome examples of the dedcation it takes to be a godly mom. Thanks

Steph D said...

Girl, I'm proud of you too! I know you're doing this because you love your son so much! I pray for your continued perseverance! You are a great mama!!

Crystal Heavers said...

Hey Kristal!!! Dave gave my your blog address awhile ago, so I check in from time to time to see updates on your family... Your little bundle of joy is SOOO cute.. I definitely see Dave in him! Good luck with everything, and hopefully I can see you again soon!

Emily said...

Being a momma is hard girl...and I know you're doing great. Call me and give me an update sometime... I can't wait to meet him in person. These little boys are destined to be friends. ;)