Friday, October 24, 2008

Dog Emergency

I thought we might be able to get away with just one major surgery per pet per year (Mosey rubber band surgery, Piper broken leg, now this)...but Piper proved us wrong....Monday morning she started throwing up, acting lethargic and very clinging so I took her in. They didn't find anything on the xrays so I got to take her home. That night she got worse and worse, she couldn't get comfortable and was extremely nauseous, dry heaving every half hour. Needless to say Dave wasn't home and I didn't sleep at all.
I took her in first thing in the morning and after a few more test they decided she was not getting better and she need to go to surgery to make sure nothing was stuck in her intestines.....Well sure enough there was something stuck, a couple sharp pieces of water bottle and string from a rope toy!!! (Dang Dollar Tree toys!)
Thankfully the doctors at Animal Care Clinic acted quickly because if we did not remove those objects she would have died. I couldn't handle another pet tragedy in this pregnancy. All is well now Pipe dog is recovering and my stress level is back down. Dave made it home for the surgery but had to leave the next day- he was concerned that with all my worry I might go into labor so he put me on "husband bed rest" - relax and do as little as possible until he comes home Saturday so this baby would stay put....so far so good.
I will post pics this weekend of the surgery and of the million dollar mutt.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Poor Piper! (And poor you for having to worry about that now!)

Soderin Family said...

so sorry you had to go through that. how's piper doing? and you for that matter. any baby action?